The 2014 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics superhero team was a huge success! Grossing $773.3 million worldwide, it became the highest-grossing superhero film of 2014. Read below for fun facts about this humorous action-filled film!
1. Djimon Hounsou took the role of Korath for the sake of his son: "I have a son who loves superheroes from Spider-Man to Iron Man to Batman. One day he looks at me and says 'Dad, I want to be light-skinned so I could be Spider-Man. Spider-Man has light skin.' That was sort of a shock." In recent years, in the Marvel Ultimates comic book universe, the Spider-Man mantle has been held by Miles Morales, a half-black, half-Hispanic teenager.
2. When Dave Bautista found out he got the role of Drax the Destroyer, he broke down in tears, overjoyed at getting a Marvel comic-book role. He immediately signed up for extra acting classes in order to prepare for the role.
3. Vin Diesel recorded all his lines in several different languages, including Russian, Mandarin, Spanish, Portuguese, German and French so that they could use his real voice in the film around the world.
4. Chris Pratt apparently stole his Star Lord costume from the set, for the sole purpose of having it available so he could show up in costume to visit sick children in the hospital who might want to meet Star Lord.
5. The soundtrack album "Awesome Mix, Vol. 1" reached number one on the US Billboard 200 chart, the first film soundtrack ever to reach number one without a single original song. It was also nominated at the 2015 GRAMMY Awards for Best Soundtrack.
6. James Gunn stated that Chris Pratt's audition was so good, he was prepared to offer him the role even if Pratt did not lose weight or get in shape in time. Gunn joked that he was willing to CGI a six pack on Pratt's body. However, Pratt asked Gunn to give him 6 months to lose 50 pounds and he ended up losing 60 pounds.
Continue reading on the next page!